History of the Society and Objectives
The idea to establish an upper GI surgical society was mooted on the 23rd September 2012 and on the 27th of March 2013, the society was formally registered.
With the aim of bringing together Upper GI Consultants and General Surgeons who have an interest in Upper GI Surgery practising in Malaysia, the society had the following objectives:
- To disseminate and advance knoweldge of upper GI surgery
- To organize and facilitate training courses and opportunities for surgeons, doctors and allied health personal interested in upper GI surgery
- To expose surgeons, doctors, allied health and the public to the advances in upper GI surgery and related diseases in Malaysia
- To promote and facilitate research, training and encourage publications on upper GI diseases to advance the management of such conditions.
- To encourage and foster cooperative efforts with international bodies and agencies involved with upper GI surgery by sharing local knowledge and expertise.
All surgeons, doctors and allied health personnel with interests in upper GI surgery are welcome to join the society. Activities and updates are made available to members regularly.